Using an Algae Scrubber? Any benefits or drawbacks?

Home Forums DIY Tank Equipment Using an Algae Scrubber? Any benefits or drawbacks?

Tagged: , , ,

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BlueFaceAngel12
    Participant

Hi guys,

Recently I have heard a lot about being using algae scrubbers. I personally have never used one, so I am curious to see just how good they are at combatting algae problems in the home aquarium. Just wanted, to ask if anyone has used one and their experiences with it? what are the benefits and if any what are the drawbacks? and has any one made one themselves? If they are any good I will be looking at making my own DIY version, so if anyone has done that please let me know 🙂

DrewCoomz92
    Participant

Used it. Loved it. Doing it again.

Using a scrubber was what got me more interested into the water change-less methods to reef keeping. My scrubber was DIY and only ran for a few months before a kalk overdose wiped the screen clean. Unfortunately, the hair algae which grows on a scrubber trapped the kalk paste in its fibers and the localized PH increase killed it all off. I was forced to go to chaeto until I had the time to get one running again. My scrubber was poorly designed but did its job well. My next one is going to be LED and will be built into an acrylic box like most of the ones that you can order online.

Pros
    When set up properly, it will pull nitrate and phosphate to levels undetectable with hobbyist test kits.
    You get a clean slate every single week and all of the inorganic nutrients pulled from the tank get thrown in the trashcan.
    Detritus cannot accumulate inside of a scrubber like it can in a refugium.
    Helps minimize nightly PH swings.
    Introduces pods into the tank like you would not believe. (scrubber = happy mandarins)
    Removes heavy metals like iron and copper from the water.
    Can tip you off to something else being wrong in the tank by its growth rate.

Cons
    The algae stinks.
    Requires basic knowledge of scrubbers to “read” your algae every week and make adjustments.
    The screen has to mature before it works the way it is supposed to.
    You will be less popular.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by DrewCoomz92.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

1+ for DrewCoomz92 reply, I would say the same thing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.