Transporting fish from fish shop

Home Forums General Marine Keeping Discussion Fish and Invertebrates Transporting fish from fish shop

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cooljim
    Participant

Hello everyone

I have noticed through reading the feeds that a lot of people buy there fish/corals from a reasonable distance from home and then drive them back. The best marine shop near me is an hour away. I was wondering, how everyone gets them home safely? I am worried about them being cooked in the weather at the moment or too cold in the winter. How is everyone else doing it?

Thanks

discreet.jim
    Participant

I use a polystyrene box that some mail order fish came in, my nearest shop is about an hour away as well

discreet.jim
    Participant

I knocked this up for single fish purchases.
    Works a treat keeping temperature and stops the bag getting snagged/broken also

amusing_jim
    Participant

Awesome. Thank you both! I will try and make something similar.

How long do you you could transport a fish for like that?

barker.piter
    Participant

An hour is nothing. I’ve frequently transported fish a couple of hours away. Any more than that I would put the bag in a poly box. The fish shop should have a spare one laying around if you’re worried and most reputable lfs should ask you how long your journey is and pack accordingly.

parker_ynelly
    Participant

My last not so local LFS visit was a 5 hour drive from AAC back to Plymouth 2 weeks ago with 10 fish and a couple of SPS colonies, every fish and coral bagged individually, 3 x large poly boxes everything was fine when I got home, doesn’t matter what the outside temperature is once they are sealed in a poly box, the greater the volume of water the longer it will keep it’s temperature.
    As already stated any reputable LFS will have poly boxes and will pack accordingly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.