Mel's Deep Water Acropora dominated EA Reef Pro 1500

Home Forums Show off your Tank Large Mel's Deep Water Acropora dominated EA Reef Pro 1500

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    discreethassan
    Participant

After closing down my EA Reef 1500s six months after I bought it, a new EA Reef Pro 1500 is being delivered tomorrow. Unfortunately, my temperature controller malfunctioned on my last tank and cooked over £1000 worth of Acropora’s. Most of them had been grown from 1 inch frags and some were too large to fit in a salt bucket. To say I was devastated was an understatement. I had a nice selection of deep water Acropora’s in my last tank, which were my favourites, so this tank is going to be mainly Deep Water Acroporas, with a few fish for good measure
    I acid bathed all the live rock from my last tank, and after pressure washing it, and soaking it in RO water, it has been sitting in a bucket cycling with a bottle of Dr. Tim’s and some ammonia for the last 2 weeks.

I have made a few changes from my last set up. I will be using Red Sea dry Pink sand, which has been washed and soaked in RO, and am thinking of mixing in a couple of bags of the Red Sea live white sand just to move things along a bit. I’m not sure whether it is a good idea to mix sand of different grain sizes, maybe someone with a bit of knowledge on this could offer some advise, which would be appreciated.

I am not using an algae bed on this tank, instead, I have opted to use Siporax instead. I have bought 5L to get me started, as I don’t know how much room I will have in the sump once the equipment is put in there. It has been washed and is currently soaking in RO to remove as much silicate as is possible before placing it in the tank. If I find I need extra and can fit it in I will buy some more.
    I am going to add the salt water and sand, and then heat the tank. I will then adjust the parameters to what I want them to run at before doing the aquascape. I will then add the Siporax and a bottle of Dr. Tim’s and will cycle using ammonia solution.

So that’s the plan……

hassanpowellscout
    Participant

Given your previous tanks & the interesting concept of mainly deepwater Acro’s I am sure this will be awesome.

First dibs on frags

accentedhassan
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing this all come together and grow….

What salt are you going to use!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.