Keeping PH stable with doser and Apex?

Home Forums Help and Advice Keeping PH stable with doser and Apex?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jimnormapalmer
    Participant

Hi i was wandering if anyone dose PH via dosing pump and Apex to stop when reaches desired level.

Not sure why its very hard for me to keep my PH stable. Its like something is sucking the living life out of it. At the moment its 8 during day and 7.8 during night but if i stop dosing at the moment via ATU then PH will drop to 7.8 day and some times as low as 7.5 night.

The question is if i setup my Apex to switch off dosing pump at 8.3 once i get there over a week or so and on at 8.1 or around that. Im afraid my salinity will go super low. Because i guess first i need to get to my target via ATU once there ill setup Doser and Apex but afraid that if ATU used then PH drops doser comes on and puts more fresh water.

I dont see how ppl can use small dosing containers i had to order 5L one.

cooljim
    Participant

Hi
    With PH the last thing you should do is chase numbers. I would stop dosing and let the tank find its natural level. Ph will change through the day and night this is normal. Saying that 7.5 is low. But again I would not dosed.

Out if interest what is you Alkalinity value

If you wish to increase ph you need to look at increase surface movement, if the tank has a cover look at removing this, can you draw air into our skimmer from the outside, use a co2 scrubber on the air intake, open the window slightly in the room the tank is in or look at using a refuge on reverse lighting schedule

discreet.jim
    Participant

You can make a very simple co2 scrubber out of a water bottle, soda lime, and some airline. Helps keep my Ph above 8. See pic. If you want more info let me know

discreet.jim
    Participant

We have glass lids on our tank in the winter and use a CO2 scrubber all year round, Skim breeze container with medical grade “Intersorb” or Spherasorb co2 absorbing media. Never need to worry about the PH, occasionally test and we sit at 8.2-8.3 winter a little higher at 8.4 summer.

amusing_jim
    Participant

Thank you all for comments.
    My skimmer intake like goes outside so not so much for high CO2 lvl. Tank is right next to window with curtain so no direct light and window stays on most of the day and night.
    I have fans and net cover for tankt toot(bacically preventing fish from jumping out) surface with return and one wavemaker agitating water. So again i very much doubt that tank has issues getting rid of CO2

I never done airstone test as dont have air pump but my Alkalinity is mostly around 8.4dKH when ph is at 8.

amusing_jim
    Participant

Funny you said that just put in ph 7 solution and it shows 0826 and stopped. Not moving up or down. Binned it just nnow.Now cant find anywhere in UK standard Apex PH probe. All double junc or lab grade.

jimnormapalmer
    Participant

I wish mate. Got night shift coming up. Just spent £81 on lab grade ph probe. Its like whole europe stopped buying standard probes. Oh and DONT you ever push that shiny probe sensor with your finger. It just exploded in my face and i think i got small pieces of glass stuck in my elbow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.