Cryptocaryon irritans, marine whitespot

Home Forums Help and Advice Cryptocaryon irritans, marine whitespot

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    elfredanellyparker
    Participant

This disease is very common on wild tropical marine fish, but in the confined space of an aquarium it can rapidly become a large and frequently fatal problem. Bear in mind that it is genetically very variable, and different strains, from different places at different times can have rather different physical characteristics such as size and number of spots, resistance to hyposalinity and most important lethality, meaning that while leaving it to sort itself out might have worked before it might leave you with a box of dead fish rather quickly.

To simplify matters we have an article in the marine health section of the forum.
    http://www.ultimatereef.com/articles/whitespot
    You are of course free to ask any questions, but hopefully you can quickly get the information here you need here to effectively treat your fish without expensive losses. Some things will seemingly remain constant tho’ – it is easier to treat this is a separate hospital system, it’s better if you can make sure it nevers gets in your system, and a fully effective reef safe treatment isn’t available (nor are reputedly ‘reef safe’ treatments very often reef safe or effective).

One thing that isn’t covered is temperature. Please don’t raise the temperature. This is done with freshwater whitespot, but marine infections tend to be concentrated on the gills – raising the temp. will raise the fishes metabolic rate, placing further stress on the damaged gills and quite possibly killing the fish. C. irritans doesn’t do well in temperatures below 18C – for those people with semi tropical or deepwater fish temperature reduction may be a possible treatment.

appealing.elfreda
    Participant

I just lost almost all my fish, lesson learned, quarentine new stock. Let me add that some variations of itch, can look similar to velvet disease. early and accurate diagnosis is crucial. Sounds simple and it is but experience is the best wisdom. Any one new to these diseases, and if your not sure definatley take pics and ask questions and note how the disease came in, how long it took to spead on fish and how long to spread to other fishes.
    good luck

barefooted_elfreda
    Participant

I just had white spot I used esha oodanex and induced garlic. It worked for me.

nellythedeli
    Participant

Does UV sterilising work? Have a slow flow less than 100 l per hour connected to an internal nitrate reactor flowing through a uv steriliser on the floor (about a 3 ft drop) a 8 watt uv steriliser? Clarity is gin clear but us enough to kill ws?

parker_the_barker
    Participant

I have seen some numbers somewhere on the amount of UV required to kill various things. I don’t recall the exact numbers, but the amounts required to kill parasitic organisms were a long, long way from what was required to kill floating green algae (I think a factor of more than 100). Also there is a difference in lethality from the larger units that can put out UV-A, -B and -C, and the small units. These imply to me that the small units sold might well be fine for cleaning green water or whatever but likely won’t fix this issue.
    On the upside anecdotally many people think that UV helps, but I haven’r seen any numbers comparing tanks with/without and infection rates and cure rates. Also you have the issue with slow flow that the majority of the water is not going to be in the unit. I can believe these might control small infections, or infections that the fish have an immunity too, but they do not seem to do so well where there are suddent heavy infections, and this really shouldn’t be a surprise. Usually someone ends up with a lot of spotty fish, runs out and buys one of these, faffs around setting it up and everything dies anyway.
    I have more faith in ozone. It’s a lot more lethal, and timed use could be very effective as the rate doesn’t need the same slowing..

smellynelly
    Participant

Reading up on ozone, not too sure entirely how it works, have a hob red sea max prism elite
    Protein skimmer that claims to create ozone? Or is is adding extra oxygen as in compressed oxygen?

welly_nelly
    Participant

I think I’ll just leave as is, good work Wayne, not an issue with slow flow i designed it that way to be honest it about 20 – 30 lph it’s a anaerobic nitrate reactor thought I would put it to good use, was just hoping that the slow flow would increase contact time expanentatially, always good to get 2 for the price of one, origanly used at as a clarifier but just like using different uses for the same equipment

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.